Citronella essential oil is extracted from the grass plant Cymbopogon, native to Asia. It's commonly known as lemongrass. This fragrant grass plant got its name from the French word meaning "lemon balm" due to its fresh citrus-like aroma.
For centuries, Citronella was used in China and Indonesia as a natural remedy for treating several health conditions, such as rashes, infections, inflammation, and others. They also used it as a flavoring ingredient in their foods. Today, Citronella continues to be valued and used for its many properties.
Citronella has been registered as an insect repellent in the US since 1948. The EPA has classified Citronella as a non-toxic natural pesticide. Citronella is effective in repelling the Aedes aegypti mosquito, which transmits dengue fever. It may be effective against lice of the body and hair.
But this aromatic grass plant is more than a natural insect repellent. Citronella Oil has cleansing, disinfecting, deodorizing, and freshening properties. When inhaled, Citronella's energizing scent lifts moods and relaxes the body and mind, promoting happy and positive feelings. It is known to reduce muscle spasms, ease headaches, and boost energy. When applied topically, it can be soothing to the skin and scalp.
Citronella has a potent antifungal effect and contains the chemicals citronellal, citronellol, and geraniol. It can calm dogs that are barking and can deter pets from damaging items in the home. Also, these components are great for cleaning and disinfecting surfaces in the house.
Potential uses of Citronella oil:
- Natural insect repellent
- Lifts moods and reduces stress
- Boosts energy
- Soothes skin and scalp
- Cleans and disinfect surfaces
Remedy's Nutrition Essential Oils are:
- 100% Pure Practitioner Oils
- Pharmacist reviewed and approved
- Single oils are not cut with other oils
- Oil blends, when necessary, are blended in a base of grapeseed oil
- No additives, adulterations, contaminants, or synthetics
- Safe and clean distillation method
- Appropriately handled and stored in a tightly sealed dark glass bottle
- Quality and potency are guaranteed!
Certificate of Analysis (COA) upon request.
Pure essential oils are concentrated and potent; a couple of drops are usually enough for topical use and aromatherapy.
When using Citronella on your skin, make sure to dilute it with a carrier oil, such as almond, coconut, or avocado oil. Always do a patch test: half teaspoon of carrier oil to 1-3 drops of essential oil. Apply a dime-size amount of this blend to a small area of skin that is not sensitive. If tolerated, you may increase the ratio until the desired effect is obtained.
- As a repellent, Citronella should be reapplied every 30 minutes to an hour to ensure complete effectiveness.
- To promote a positive environment and boost energy, use Citronella oil in a diffuser or spray bottle.
- To clean surfaces, add three to four drops of Citronella oil in water.
- For a soothing effect on the skin and scalp, add a few drops of Citronella essential oil to your lotion, shampoo, or conditioner.
For external use only, after a patch test. Avoid contact with eyes, ears, mouth, and other sensitive areas. Keep out of reach of children. If you are pregnant, nursing, or under a doctor's care, consult your physician. Do not use undiluted on the skin. Best kept in a cool, dry place.
Citronella oil can cause skin irritation or allergy. Do a patch test before using the oil to ensure it doesn't irritate your skin. If you react, stop using citronella oil or products that contain it.
OFTEN TAKEN WITH
For aromatherapy, perfumery, or DYI home products, Citronella essential oil blends well with: Bergamot, Cedarwood, Clary Sage, Eucalyptus, Frankincense, Lemon, Lemongrass, Pine, Peppermint, Rosemary, Orange, and Sandalwood.
Essential Oils are scented oils extracted from flowers, bark, stems, leaves, roots, and other plant parts. Historically, many different cultures have used these healing plant oils in medicine, cosmetics, perfumes, food, and aromatherapy.
REVIEWSRead and leave reviews
Why You'll Love Us:
We Specialize in Herbal Remedies, Vitamins, and Supplements That Work, Guaranteed!
- Choosing a selection results in a full page refresh.
- Press the space key then arrow keys to make a selection.