A good Nights Sleep is Possible
Posted on 08 May 2015
Sleeping Well is Not Just a Dream!
There is little doubt that sleep problems can be related to diet, lifestyle, one's sleeping environment, biochemical imbalances, ones temperament and other factors. But this does not mean that you must allow it to dictate how you sleep. Here are a few suggestions on how to sleep like a baby:
- Eat dinner at least two hours before bedtime. Eating late may leave undigested food in the stomach that interferes with sleep, especially if the food quantity is excessive or you have gas or other symptoms of indigestion.
- Avoid sweets, juices or chocolate, especially at night. Sugar upsets body chemistry and may cause one to toss and turn or to get up hungry in the middle of the night.
- Avoid stimulants, particularly in the evening. These include coffee, tea, caffeinated soft drinks, chocolate and sugar in any form. More subtle stimulants include watching violent or even thriller movies at night, loud music or other stimulating activities in the evening.
- Reduce mental activity in the evening. If you have trouble sleeping it is wise to forgo intense intellectual effort at night. Relax, do light reading or other activities that do not overstimulate the mind.
- Avoid vigorous exercise in the evening. Better to exercise in the morning or during the day. In the evening , limit exercise to perhaps a gentle walk, an excellent way to end the day. Gentle exercise during the day may help sleep.
- Be sure you are warm enough. A warm bath or sauna before bed is also excellent.
- Make sure your bedroom is dark and quiet. Install dark fabric behind curtains or use other methods so your sleeping area remains dark.
- Let go of physical tension in the body. One can use natural therapies such as massage, reading and other techniques to reduce tension. At home, one may rub the feet, breathe deeply and do other simple procedures before bed to release tensions.
- Let go of fears and worry at bedtime. Do your best to leave all problems and concerns behind when you go to sleep.
- Fresh air is often helpful for sleep. Be sure the room is not stuffy. Open a window slightly so that fresh air can enter the room.
- The type of bed or mattress can matter a lot. Many are available to choose from and it is wise to experiment if sleep is a problem. Newer types of mattresses offer many sleep options.
- The size and shape of pillows can make a difference. A pillow should not cause undue strain on the neck. Cervical pillows and other types are worth experimenting with.
- Avoid becoming overtired. When one is overtired, the adrenal glands are overstimulated. One may need to unwind before going to bed in this case.
- Go to bed early, by 9 or 10 PM if possible, and if possible sleep later in the morning. The hours before midnight are excellent for resting. An hour of sleep before midnight is often worth two or three hours of sleep after midnight.
The reason for sleeping in is the adrenal glands become active about 5 AM. Many people awaken at this time and want to get going. However, this prevents the adrenals from resting more. It is best to go back to sleep if possible and get up after 7 AM, when the adrenals are less active. One may feel more tired at first, but it will help rest the adrenals.
Remedy's would like to thank ARL for there information in this article.